Here are some funny facts about “shopping malls” in the US:
- There are 50,000 shopping malls in the United States alone.
- Women will buy more if they hear their heels clicking on polished hard surfaces, so designers often use hard flooring in hallways.
- Inside the stores themselves, there is often carpeting or softer surfaces to lure customers in and make them feel at home.
- Places to sit in the common areas of malls are hard to find. Because, people aren’t shopping when they’re sitting.
- Escalators are placed strategically to force shoppers to pass the maximum number of storefronts.
- Most malls have bends and turns as shoppers typically won’t walk towards something that seems more than one tenth of a mile away.
- Floor plans in malls are disorienting for a reason – so shoppers cannot make a quick exit.
- The average mall shopper stays for 80 minutes and spends $75 each visit.Source